Remember the Time.....

on Thursday, June 25, 2009

As a teenager when somebody would ask me what music I listened to, I would proudly declare that I listened to” English Music” only.

In those days, English music was synonymous with Michael Jackson.

As a kid when my Dad bought a new 50 Watt Music system for us, I remember that the first cassette I bought was “Dangerous” by Michael Jackson.

It was also the age of cable TV and MTV. We could now see who the man was, his dance moves and his mannerisms.

We loved it. We danced with him when he taught Michael Jordan to dance in “Jam, we drooled when he grooved with Naomi Campbell in “Keep it in the Closet”, we were transported to Egypt in “Remember the time”, we sang for the world along with him in”Heal the world”, and we rocked with Slash in “Give in to me”.

My uncle used to keep telling us that “Dangerous” was nothing compared to “Thriller” his masterpiece. And we refused to believe him. Till we listened to it.

We were Michael Jackson fans for life.

Few artists can claim to have changed the musical landscape of the entire world and influenced fans across all classes, countries and races. Michael was one of them.

You should see the MJ live performance videos to see what I mean. People are going crazy, pulling out their hair and fainting like there was no tomorrow.

He brought music into the lives of more people than he ever knew. A Banker in New York listened to his songs with equal fervor as a convict in Kenya. He united the world in their love for music.

He was a complete entertainer. He made his musical performance into an art form. His music videos were revolutionary for pioneering the use of advanced storylines and impeccable choreography. His moonwalk spawned countless imitators the world over.

In his latter years, his music declined as did his personal life. Let me not go into what happened later. I don’t know what happened. But this article is not about his morality but his musical genius.

I am yet to recover from the shock of his death. The world will be a poorer place without you Michael. I hope you are teaching the guys up there a couple of jazzy steps.

RIP MJ.

9 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

May he have some peace up there .

RIP MJ .

Vineeta said...

He rocked a lotta people's world for sure...may his soul rest in peace!

Gaurav said...

totally agreed ... cable tv came in in 1993 kinds ... and the only "English music" anyone knew about was MJ's ... Also remember mohan singing 'heel the world' in school ....
may MJ's soul rest in peace ...

Deepanjana said...

Hey, I like your blog and there is an award waiting for you on my page so do stop by and collect it!

Deepanjana said...

youre welcome... only if that image was slightly less girly! lol! it certainly does bring variety to your page.;)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Easily I agree but I contemplate the collection should secure more info then it has.

Unknown said...

Really great post, Thank you for sharing this knowledge. Excellently written article, if only all bloggers offered the same level of content as you, the internet would be a much better place increase business performance. Please keep it up. Keep posting.
Best regards