A true story!!

on Sunday, September 17, 2006

The following is an excerpt I have heard from a friend of mine. It is about that oft repeated and written to death topic, love. Readers of my blog will of course be aware of my rather cynical views on the subject. But when I heard his account of what love was, I felt a stirring in my heart and a certain gland in the eye began to threaten to function, undermining my manly pretensions of pride. The following is a more coherent and orderly account of what transpired between us last night. His story was infinitely more rambling and punctuated by hiccups, under the influence of the fourth peg of an amber liquid used as a buttress for the emotionally wrecked. As a guy with no emotions and a rather more boring upbringing, I had a glass of the ubiquitous coke cradled in my hands. He sniffed and began
I have always pictured love as something which sweeps you off your feet; you know… an upheaval which registers a 9 on the Richter scale of your four chambered thingie we have in our chest. For me it was different. She just walked into my life one day as merry as you please.
I remember her that day, prattling away prettily to everyone in the room except me. I began to feel more awkward and uglier than I normally do, which is quite a remarkable feat in itself. My eyes followed surreptiously the graceful movements of her hand as she brushed away wisps of hair that fell over her lovely face, drinking in every movement of her eyes. I still remember those eyes. Clear pools of light which could cut through the armour of hardened hearts like mine
.
I have heard of prospectors working for hours, wrecking their body and souls for that one elusive precious stone. There she was ...my diamond.”

Err...I decided it was time for me to make a point
“Shut the **** up, what do you know about love?”
Looking at the nasty gleam in his eye I decided not to press the point too much. My friend was infinitely more abusive and stronger under the influence of alcohol. He continued as if I dint exist

She started haunting my every living moment. I would walk all around college hoping for a glimpse of her, for a fleeting memory which I could cherish and relive until I saw her next. These transient moments of voyeurism became the fuel for the mundane everyday things I now sleepwalked through. When I actually had a chance to talk to her I would mumble a greeting and run away as soon as decency permitted, my blushing face a cornucopia of emotions. My emotions were taking a roller coaster ride on those fearsome rides you see in the amusement parks called ‘lightning dragon” or with some equally absurd name. A smile could transport me to the very pinnacle of emotional elation .Just as quickly I would come plummeting down to the lonely depths of emotional despair.”
He paused to take a long draught from his glass. I thoughtfully sipped on my coke not bothering to speak.

Why the hell are you gaping silently like a fish?”he roared.

Did I mention that my friend was seldom logical when he was drunk? ”What happened then? I asked nervously. Suddenly a smile lit up his face.
One day she said she loved me too.

That was the nearest I had come to a coronary thrombosis of the heart. After I heard it I ran to my room and closed all the doors and windows.
And then I began to dance, a wild and ungainly movement of arms and legs, where each unrestricted motion was a manifestation of a euphoria that was building up inside me like a fountain of her beauty and love.

For a fleeting moment which felt like eternity… there was no “her” and no “me”
There was just “us”.”
He sniffed and a large teardrop landed in his drink. I swear that I had a lump in my throat.


Love is so beautiful yet so physically cruel.
I spent a few days in paradise, listening as her whispered endearments dripped off her lips like honey from a busy honeycomb.
The touch of her hand was a physical shock. It was similar to the feeling you have when someone hits you in the gut.
Remember that woozy helpless feeling you? It was like that.

And then it all changed
.”

He had now graduated from tears to big racking sobs, a big blubbering helpless guy. I wept silently too, my arms trying to protect him from the barbs of his agony.
And then the drink finally overcame him and he collapsed like a bag of potatoes against my body. I felt his heart throbbing away, each beat radiating his love for that angel he had surrendered to.

And the next day he refused to speak a word about it.

I know this is a strangely unsatisfying story. I don’t know how it all changed and what happened to shatter his paradise.
I also wish I could tell you that it all ends happily ever after.
But quite frankly I don’t know, what is going to happen and neither does he.
But you know what? In spite of my cynical outlook; I am a romantic at heart.
I refuse to believe that true love will not vanquish all.
Each day I look at my friend as he masterfully laughs his way through life concealing the scars beneath. And each day I wonder what will happen!!!!

Note: I know that quite a few of my friends frequent my blog. When you read this , pray for a minute. Pray that true love will win through.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am one (& probably the only) of sri's most hard hitting critics and he has taken his writing up a notch over the past one year .Keep @ it and Erich Segal might have some competition.

Deepa G said...

Hard-hitting incident. But true love comes from not expecting out of the one you love. My premise is that true love never pains. Easy to say, you may point out. But try thinking about it.
Anyways my heart goes out to your friend, and tell him that true love always triumphs!!

Anonymous said...

Just something that came to mind. It's not importnat whether True Love will vanquish all, frankly & quite sadly it usually doesnt. But atleast he tried and felt alive. Most people would trade anything for atleast that one moment. In my opinion, your friend is a luckier guy than many, many others.

Anonymous said...

I have appreciated Srinath's writing skills ever since the day he first sent me the link to his blog.. Always liked your style of writing, Srinath..the way you put your thoughts on paper!

As for the latest entry on your blog, I'd say your friend needs to have faith... faith in himself, in his love! I'm with Deepa, when she says True Love Never Hurts!
True Love is eternal.. True love is beyond suffering.. It in fact is a healer.. It's an experience for life.. True Love is when you no longer fear separation..it gets ingrained in your very being..
I must also add, I feel love is no war, its no game-to win or lose! You just experience it and are in awe of it forever-that to me is LOVE !

Anyway I do wish your friend finds his true love and in his quest discovers the true meaning of Love :-)

Srinath S said...

deepa and tanuja,arnt u being too don quixotic and idealistic here?
well i knw true love is eternal and so on,but if it were me i would rather hav the girl rather than"treasure tht momment"...
my frnd is no howard roark.he jsts wants the girl he loves.

Suyash Parashar said...

Great....!!!

Anonymous said...

First of all, my ohhh my, I cannot believe it’s the same Srinath of school days when we used to be told to write short poems (do u remember?).

Your style of writing is so articulate and powerful. The line of attack chosen for expressing your thoughts is magnificent. Bravo!!!!!!

Your art of writing is extraordinarily delightful for a reader like me. I seriously had to refer to the Oxford dictionary for a couple of words. At least I am improving on my vocabulary if not in any other skills. hehehe

Love is a very powerful emotion. Everybody has their first love but it all depends on how many really wait for them and whether it was ever true. One issue that I have been struggling with mightily is the question, "What is true love?????????”

Coming to the story, that was a moving story and one very much from the heart. It’s the most natural thing in the world to want to know “what was the ending”, but in this case, it seems unlikely you will ever find out, for many reasons. But, hoping that your friend will get something more than what he deserves. Everybody has their personal demons and we all go through tough phases in life.

Srinath S said...

hey ppl,
wld lik to thnk all of u guys fr such a overwhelmingly nice response to my writing skills.This encourages me to write more,for i can be shockingly inert sometimes.keep the comments pouring and may all of find our true love.

Anonymous said...

i fully agree with what srinath has tried to potray.....love...u can't define it but yet...it is there everywhere.....and the article clearly...gives a true picture of LOVE..which is unsketchable...yet real...

Anonymous said...

>> resending since i dunno whether earlier one got der delete one if der r 2 of d same>>
now that i have read ur blog i shud leave a comment.
ya u write well no doubt.
and my views on ur 'true story'is quite different and may make me sound like a devil or something, but i ain't proving a point here it's just what i believe. with all prayers for ur friend(if he does exist.
It's the stuff of all mush and love stories, isn't it. I c it as no different. All stories have the same stuff. guy meets girl falls in love and vice versa. It's after a few days that reality strikes, some things that u really hate, a quality that is wierd, pressure from home or studies and what not. these things make u see the truth and dat is wen, one fine day either one decides to call it quits.Now true love being eternal and not hurting is B*** S***. even if u stay with a dog for 2 years and it dies u remain sad for a week, den how not for a girl or a boy. The simple thing is to den see it from a distance and remind ur self "u came alone, u will go alone" Friends, family are just supports so if one goes u shud be able to survive alone for some time and den find another support if so is d need.Dat is how life is good. Oh so good!!

shweta

Anonymous said...

Well, can u pls add a post script stating dat d frnd u r talkin 'bout is not RAVI.

Jagan said...

soul stirring.. thats all i can mumble after reading such an evocative story.. keep up the good work mate..

Anonymous said...

heart touching article.
i wish ur friend get his true love...he just need to have faith in his love and nvr loses his hopes.

Jayanth said...

Hey,

I am really unsatisfied with this story. More so...because you call it as true love.

In my opinion, there is nothing called true love. All this about true love is absolute
shit. May be it looks good in a poem or when Adnan sami sings…”tera chehra jab”
I know, many girls do not agree with this. I would say they are all perfect Hippocrates.

It is all about infatuation. You get attracted to a girl and then…call it true love etc. etc.

It is only because of the circumstances that the girl happened to be there and because
you were attracted to her; it doesn’t mean you really love her. Probably if there was
some other girl, well within your reach you would very well gladly accept her company.

The plain truth however is that, Indian women want social security and Indian men want
to flirt with a reasonably good looking women (this adds to their social stature).
I am referring to the Indian context since, I find Americans to be more clear in what they
want when it comes to emotional maturity.

Now, if you have been reading all this and yet you are not convinced, here is the acid test:

“For a girl, would you love a man who is blind and handicapped? You may show
sympathy towards him or may be talk some comforting words, but would you go ahead and think of physical relationship with him…..I am damn sure, this is true may be in
one of Kamal Hasan’s movie but would never be true in 99% of your cases”

“Same thing with a boy, how many of you are willing to have a physical relationship with
a handicapped and blind woman, if she is defaced?”

Please, do not call your infatuation as true love. This is all because of the combined effect
and benevolent grace of Shahrukh Khan, Gracy singh and many others. Adding to our
present day misery is the emotional independence portrayed by Hollywood. Unfortunately, the present day Gen-X Indians like us are really confused with traditions
on one hand and trying to ape the American emotional maturity on the other hand.

The only place, probably I would approve of the usage “true love” is in this context:
“The Almighty Lord shows Love towards all his creatures”
(Sorry, I am not a saint or anything, trying to preach about true love… this is only an
example to support my argument)

Off late, I have begun to refute the idea of “Man showing love towards dogs and cats”
Except for may be a few, I find people pet their dogs and cats, because their fur is
really cozy and it can be a good pastime. Not because of any unintentional love.
This was told to me by quite a few of my “so-called” elite society friends.

Well, this is my opinion. I would love to hear, if you have anything to say.

P.S: I have personally known
Srinath for quite some time. I know
he is one such poor victim of
getting confused with true love
and infatuation.